I returned today to the out-apiary and hefted all 3 hives there.
I used a digital scale to weigh each side. The reading varied considerably during each heft - maybe by as much as 250g each way. I did my best to get an average reading. I think the variability must have been due to the way I was using the scale.
The results show more or less what I expected:
|Hive Name||Hive Type||Left side||Right side|
|B||National deep box with insulated eke||8.9 Kg||15.2 Kg|
|C||National box with 2 national super boxes||>25 Kg||>25 Kg|
|D||Commercial box with 1 national super box and insulated eke||17.8 Kg||16.6 Kg|
The weight of each type of hive, given for shipping information by Thorne, is:
|National + 2 supers||25 Kg|
|Commercial + 2 supers||27 Kg|
My conclusion from this is much as I expected: Hive B is small and may not have enough stores for the spring. Hive C has tons of stores and is fine. Hive D may have enough and needs monitoring.
I checked the varroa floors. All hives are consuming stores as expected. Hives C and D are making new wax, shown by wax scales amongst the capping detritus. Also C and D had a couple of Varroa each, which is quite a high fall rate.